CPM Certified Portfolio Manager:- Economic liberalization and decontrol have transformed the economic landscape of India. Globalization of the economy is at the forefront of the reforms agenda of the Government. As greater faith was placed on the allocative efficiency of the markets, the Government progressively liberalized controls to overcome severe distortions that impeded the functioning of the market forces.
The reforms process initiated in the early nineties had far-reaching implications for capital markets too. The abolition of CCI, free pricing of securities, and the entry of private sector and foreign mutual funds has instilled competition and market orientation in the capital markets. Global fund management giants like Merrill Lynch, Templeton, Morgan Stanley, Alliance, Threadneedle, and Jardine Fleming, among others have set up mutual fund operations in India. Other developments like permitting mutual funds to participate in the call markets and GDR market, as well as the introduction of index funds, factor funds and sector funds, meaning that the Indian mutual fund segment has come of age. And if the above developments are rapid enough, the emergence of internet trading is likely to drastically change existing portfolio management paradigms.
- The CPM Program has the following objectives :
- To develop a new body of knowledge and make it available for those seeking challenging careers in the new era of liberalization and globalization;
- To introduce participants to the financial system and capital markets both in India and abroad;
- To impart a strong conceptual foundation in investment analysis and portfolio management;
- To give adequate exposure to emerging areas like equity and debt research, scientific asset allocation, portfolio insurance, etc.;
- To prepare individuals capable of providing leadership in portfolio management and mutual funds industry operating in a globalized environment.
The CPM Approach
- The CPM Program follows five distinctive but inter-related approaches:
- Theoretical Studies aimed at improving candidates’ understanding of certain fundamental phenomena and relationships underlying the changing world.
- Case Studies linking the theoretical studies to the practical problems faced by portfolio managers.
- Practical Exposure to industry practices takes place through a variety of activities like management development programs, seminars, conventions, etc.
- Global Perspective to business by encouraging the candidates to appreciate and get exposed to the international business environment and practices.
- Ethical Focus aimed at inculcating in the candidates an ethical approach in their professional interactions and a sense of personal, corporate, and social responsibilities.